why jemalloc expand virtual memory space so quickly

Ma, Bo bma at websense.com
Wed Aug 3 23:52:41 PDT 2011

Hi Guys,
    It seems that gemalloc costs more virtual memory than glibc_malloc.
We are estimating the possibility that replace glibc_malloc by jemalloc.We have seen that jemalloc is really
faster than glibc_malloc and costs less physical memory.But the amount  of virtual memory increase  quickly.
Though we ends our test,it still occupies many virtual memory.
Because we have more physical memory than 4G but we are still using 32bit Linux,virtual memory is also badly needed.
Is there any way to reduce the virtual memory cost of jemalloc?

Thanks
Kevin

 Physical Memory:
[cid:image003.png at 01CC52B3.4E733B20]