On static library naming
mh+jemalloc at glandium.org
Thu Apr 19 10:06:42 PDT 2012
Currently, building jemalloc brings up three libraries:
- libjemalloc.a, static, non-PIC
- libjemalloc_pic.a, static, PIC
- libjemalloc.so, shared, PIC
The world of Windows is kind of different. First, everything is PIC.
Then, to link against a shared library, you have an import library.
So you have:
- library.dll, shared, PIC
- library.lib, import lib
and you can have
- something_else.lib, static library
I have several questions related to this:
- Do we want a static library for Windows?
- If we do, how should it be named? (for example, NSPR uses a _s.lib
suffix instead of .lib)
- If we do, wouldn't it make sense to kind of uniformize the naming
More information about the jemalloc-discuss