dead lock in forked child

Mowry, Robert Robert.Mowry at netapp.com
Tue Oct 9 17:53:32 PDT 2012

I can understand the motivation behind wanting this to work, but when I
read the POSIX spec for threaded programs that call fork(), it seems
pretty clear that malloc() and free() etc are not defined to be safe to
call in the child process:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fork.html

which says in part:

A process shall be created with a single thread. If a multi-threaded
process calls fork(), the new process shall contain a replica of the
calling thread and its entire address space, possibly including the states
of mutexes and other resources. Consequently, to avoid errors, the child
process may only execute async-signal-safe operations until such time as
one of the exec
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/exec.html>functi
ons is called. Fork handlers may be established by means of the
pthread_atfork()
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/pthread_atfork.h
tml> function in order to maintain application invariants across fork()
calls.

The list of async-signal-safe functions is defined here:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/V2_chap02.html#ta
g_15_04

(it's a long way down the page)

Is is that people want to go beyond what the spec calls out - and hence
the request to fix issues like this?  Or are folks not aware they are
attempting to do something that's not really kosher?

-bob