2MB (hugetlb) page support on Linux

Vinay Y S vinay.ys at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 08:54:46 PST 2013

Ok, I understand that due to more allocations per page the probability of a
page being released back to OS will reduce. But is it correct to say that
wastage will reduce for 4KB-8KB (and other higher) class allocations and
hence utilization will improve?

I also saw the 'medium' size class in the git log as well as on this
mailing list discussions. Is there a way to re-introduce that back with,
maybe, build-time configurable tradeoffs for memory efficiency vs (?)
lock-free purging?

Thanks,
Vinay