feature request: aligned_realloc

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:21:30 PST 2015

I don't see aligned_realloc anywhere in jemalloc.  I wonder if this is
a feature you would be willing to support?  A colleague of mine was
interested in it recently, and it wasn't obvious how one would do an
efficient implementation on top of the standard API calls.

There are other implementations of this already.  While I am nothing
resembling a fan of Windows, I would argue that a function signature
compatible with MSVC is desirable.

Microsoft: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y69db7sx.aspx
Boost:SIMD (not yet part of Boost):
http://nt2.metascale.fr/doc/html/boost/simd/aligned_realloc.html
MRPT: http://reference.mrpt.org/svn/group__mrpt__memory.html#gaa0dd8ec272a9f40a191342057c185bd9
Eigen: http://docs.ros.org/hydro/api/win_eigen/html/namespaceEigen_1_1internal.html#a2a45fbd9d5eaa2c84e561fceaf39d139
OpenUH: http://www2.cs.uh.edu/~estrabd/OpenUH/r593/html-libopenmp/d4/d8c/a00035.html

Is this a reasonable request?  I don't feel qualified to implement
this, otherwise I really would try to do it myself and contribute the
patch.

Thanks,

Jeff

--