Relationship between opt.prof and opt.prof_leak

Evan Jones ejones at twitter.com
Fri Nov 6 14:01:51 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Jason Evans <jasone at canonware.com> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2015, at 12:53 PM, Evan Jones <ejones at twitter.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Jason Evans <jasone at canonware.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, dumps are always based on the most recent stats reset (process start
>> or "prof.reset" mallctl call).  You can view incremental differences
>> between two dumps by using the --base option to jeprof.
>>

> Is this true if you use opt.lg_prof_interval? Then what is the point of
> the opt.prof_accum option?
>

> opt.lg_prof_interval is merely a dump triggering mechanism.
>  opt.prof_accum controls whether cumulative stats are collected at all.

There must be something stupid that I don't understand then. You said:
"dumps are always based on the most recent stats reset", which is usually
the process start time, unless you do some manual reset. Does this mean
that prof_accum is *only* useful if you do manually trigger resets using
mallctl("prof.reset")? Does this mean that with prof_accum:true, the dumps
contain *both* the data since the last reset *and* the data since profiling
was enabled?