Last call for 3.0.0

Jason Evans jasone at canonware.com
Thu May 3 10:39:15 PDT 2012

On May 3, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 04:45:42PM -0700, Jason Evans wrote:
>> On May 2, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Mike Hommey wrote:
>>> I have to write 2 patches for MSVC-related issues that I'll send
>>> later today.
>>
>> I just committed all of your patches; thanks.
>>
>>> I also get concerning (kind of) random (but not entirely so) crashes
>>> in Firefox on Windows when using current jemalloc-dev. I haven't
>>> narrowed down the problem yet, and probably won't until tomorrow. It
>>> might be better to hold off a release until things are cleared.
>>
>> Some of my tests on Linux are crashing too; memset() within
>> huge_ralloc() is causing a segfault, but I don't know whether the
>> source or the destination is the problem, nor whether the bug is in
>> jemalloc or the application (betting on jemalloc though).  Until
>> that's resolved I won't be cutting a release.  Please let me know if
>> you are able to further characterize the crashes you're seeing; they
>> might be related to what I'm seeing.
>
> It's rather strange that I get my crashes on Windows only.
> Unfortunately, I can't reproduce locally, so debugging them will have to
> wait for access to one of our test machines. Chances are you'll have a
> patch for your issues before that, so I'll be able to test if that fixes
> my issues.

I determined last night that the problem I'm hitting is due to a bad interaction between Linux kernel vma fragmentation (adjacent VM areas aren't being coalesced) and mremap(2).  This problem appears to be peculiar to Linux, so I doubt it's related to what you're seeing.  Anyway, the fix/workaround may end up being rather involved, so I'm not optimistic about getting 3.0.0 released before next week.