pprof

Jason Evans jasone at canonware.com
Sun Nov 25 10:15:14 PST 2012

On Nov 25, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Stefan <donotspammemail at me.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason why you are repackaging pprof, isn't it supposed to come with gperftools ?

The heap profiling functionality in jemalloc isn't very useful without pprof.  Also, when I first added heap profiling to jemalloc, there was a critical bug in pprof that remained unfixed for quite some time (IIRC, more than six months, across two releases).  At the time, I had little choice but to package a patched pprof, and even when patches aren't necessary, I think it's a good idea to provide pprof with jemalloc.  However, I'm open to naming it something else to avoid packaging conflicts.  Any suggestions?  pprof-jemalloc is cumbersome, jeprof strikes me as presumptuous (though it matches the default prefix for the files jemalloc outputs), and that's about the extent of my naming creativity.

Thanks,