2MB (hugetlb) page support on Linux

Vinay Y S vinay.ys at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:01:18 PST 2013

Hi,
I'm trying to use jemalloc as the allocator for Membase (a
persistent/replicated memcached) on x86_64 Linux. With 4KB page size, the
overhead (fragmentation) for allocations greater than 4KB (say 5000 bytes)
that fall into 8KB 'large' allocation class is pretty high.

To make the wastage a bit less, we would need more classes in the 'small'
size. Given how page purge works, I understand just adding more classes in
there or faking a higher page size won't work.

Luckily my target OS - x86_64 linux supports 2MB huge pages. Can jemalloc
take advantage of this? Is there a way to enable this?

Thanks,
Vinay Y S