Allocation latency during fork

Salvatore Sanfilippo antirez at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 02:02:34 PDT 2014

Hello,

while trying to profile my application for sources of latency, I
noticed that after the fork() call, if there are an high number of
allocations ongoing, one of the next allocations (the first maybe?)
after fork()  shows very high latency (~400 milliseconds) in a process
using 2GB of memory.

The problem exists both in jemalloc 3.2.0 and 3.6.0 so it does not
look like a regression.
I tried with the glibc standard allocator and I can't reproduce the
issue, so looks like allocator-specific.

There is some way I can mitigate ore remove this issue?

Thanks,
Salvatore

--
Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - GoPivotal

"One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by
some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand."
       — George Orwell