jemalloc documentation build glitch in version 913e9a8

Jason Evans jasone at canonware.com
Tue Sep 23 09:24:37 PDT 2014

On Sep 22, 2014, at 10:37 PM, Matthew Hall <mhall at mhcomputing.net> wrote:
> I'm getting some odd behavior when compiling the latest jemalloc on Ubuntu
> 14.04.1 LTs.
>
> commit 913e9a8a853a693c5b5d6c13ab86f1b46a3404f7
> Date:   Fri Sep 19 22:01:23 2014 +0100
>
> Using the following build commands:
>
> autoconf
> ./configure \
> --enable-autogen \
> --prefix=/usr/local/jemalloc \
> --with-jemalloc-prefix=je_ \
> --enable-stats \
> --enable-prof \
> --enable-prof-libunwind \
> --with-static-libunwind=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunwind-x86_64.a \
> --enable-fill \
> --enable-valgrind \
> --enable-dss \
> --enable-xmalloc \
> --disable-lazy-lock
>
> make
> sudo make install
>
> The "make install" fails due to missing files unless I manually invoke
> the following doc make targets:
>
> make build_doc_html
> make build_doc_man
>
> It appears something's going wrong in one of these places:
>
> 1) developer raw source build directions should include this
> 2) default make target is missing subtargets
> 3) should have used another target which wasn't present in the docs
> 4) there's some other doc I should have read besides INSTALL.
>
> Can someone help me confirm what's going on?

(1) and (3). The build system is set up so that official releases have pre-build docs.  You can use 'make dist' prior to installing to achieve the intended effect when building from non-tarball sources.  I just added some documentation that will hopefully help:

	https://github.com/jemalloc/jemalloc/commit/eb5376ab9e61d96daa0d1f03b4474baf5232478f

Thanks,