How to check available VMSize with the process using jeMalloc

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 12:28:24 PDT 2015

Since jemalloc is hungry for virtual memory, it would be best to use a
real memory limit via a memory control group instead of obtaining that
very indirectly via a virtual memory limit (assuming you're on Linux).

> 1. Get maximum size of process's virtual memory (Getting this maxlimit
> as 15 GB)
> 2. For getting process's fixed part (Text + stack) : (This calculation
> will be done only once)
>      CodeSize = VMSize (Read of /proc/pid/status) - stats.mapped
>    - I assume above equation will give us fixed part of process.

It's probably not going to be fixed because jemalloc isn't the only
dynamic caller of mmap. Secondary stacks are one example.