purging and munmap

D'Alessandro, Luke K ldalessa at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 22 11:30:59 PDT 2015

I have some custom chunk stuff for network registered memory that can’t tolerate sub-chunk purging, so I turn purging off (on a per-arena basis). When I do this however, it appears to inhibit de-allocation of chunks and large allocations via munmap (my dalloc handlers are never called).

If I enable purging, but use a purge handler that opts out, chunks and large objects *are* munmapped. Is this the correct way to deal with jemalloc in 4.0? Is there overhead to the purging code when I’m going to refuse to purge anyway?

Thanks,
Luke