Default *make install* failing with the absence of doc/jemalloc.html

Jason Evans jasone at canonware.com
Mon May 27 10:17:16 PDT 2013

On May 27, 2013, at 8:24 AM, Karthik KN <karthikkn.ceg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried compiling the jemalloc from source and after configure and make , make install fails with the following error.
>
> install -m 644 doc/jemalloc.html /usr/local/share/doc/jemalloc
> install: cannot stat `doc/jemalloc.html': No such file or directory
> make: *** [install_doc_html] Error 1
>
> The following are my machine details.
>
> Linux karthik-pc 3.2.0-23-generic-pae #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 22:19:09 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I am not sure why the html file is NOT generated in the expected location. Am I missing something here?

The build system is set up such that release tarballs do not depend on the documentation build tools.  If you want to build/install directly from a git checkout, do 'make dist' or 'make build_doc' before 'make install'.  Alternately, do 'make install_bin install_include install_lib' to install everything except docs.