Configuration Script for Windows

Jos Vernon jv at websupergoo.com
Thu Dec 24 02:31:57 PST 2015

Hi

Well the MinGW environment sounds interesting. Might try that. Thanks. :-)

My suspicions about the issues I am seeing are that they are related to
order of initialization of statics and tls. The MS runtime gets special
treatment so calling into new from a static initialization or a tls
initialization works just fine.

However jemalloc doesn't get this type of special treatment so I can see
that the order of initialization might be a bit random and that jemalloc
might only be partially set up at the point it is called. This would fit
with what I've reproduced so far which is related to odd behavior when
calling at the point of thread initialization.

More general allocation is fine. I exhaustively tested on our test suite
and there were no leaks at all. But that has a fairly fixed number of
threads which is why I didn't pick up the issues I describe above. It is
terribly impressive as well - produced a speed improvement of about 10%.
Though perhaps that says more about the MS runtime than it does about
jemalloc. :-)

I have always thought that the Windows DLL loading was terribly flaky.
Forget the fact that half of what you want to call has not yet been
initialized. The fact that you don't necessarily get all the thread load or
unload events is just mad. But that is MS all over - scared to fix things
for fear they might break them.

Jos

--

jos vernon