Frequent segfaults in 2.2.5

Rogier 'DocWilco' Mulhuijzen rogier+jemalloc at
Mon Jun 3 20:19:10 PDT 2013


We're currently using jemalloc 2.2.5 statically linked into a private fork
of Varnish with a very high rate of malloc/calloc/free, and we're seeing
segfaults on a somewhat frequent basis. (one a day on a group of 6 hosts.)

We had the same segfaults with 2.2.3, and upgrading to 2.2.5 seems not to
have helped.

(Also, we tried upgrading to 3.3.1 and things just got worse, tried
enabling debugging which made it even more worse. Under time pressure, we
dropped down to 2.2.5)

I should mention that I backported the mmap strategy from 3.3.1 into 2.2.5,
to prevent VM fragmentation, which was causing us to run into

So, to the meat of the problem! (We saw these in both 2.2.3 without the
mmap strategy backported, and 2.2.5 with mmap strategy backported.)

Unfortunately, we don't have core files (we're running with 153G resident,
and 4075G virtual process size on one of the hosts that I'm looking at
right now) so the internal Varnish (libgcc based) backtrace is all we have:

*0x483894*: arena_tcache_fill_small+1a4
0x4916b9: tcache_alloc_small_hard+19
0x4841bf: arena_malloc+1bf
0x47b498: calloc+218

Looking that up:

# addr2line -e /usr/sbin/varnishd -i 0x483894

Which looks like:

97 goff = bit >> LG_BITMAP_GROUP_NBITS;
98 gp = &bitmap[goff];
99 g = *gp;
100 assert(g & (1LU << (bit & BITMAP_GROUP_NBITS_MASK)));
*101* g ^= 1LU << (bit & BITMAP_GROUP_NBITS_MASK);
102 *gp = g;

Which makes no sense at first, since there's no deref being done there, but
a disassembly (thanks Devon) shows:

  483883:       48 c1 ef 06             shr    $0x6,%rdi
  483887:       83 e1 3f                and    $0x3f,%ecx
  48388a:       4c 8d 04 fa             lea    (%rdx,%rdi,8),%r8
  48388e:       49 d3 e1                shl    %cl,%r9
  483891:       4c 89 c9                mov    %r9,%rcx
  *483894*:       49 33 08                xor    (%r8),%rcx

The optimizer got rid of g and just does the xor straight on *gp. So gp is
an illegal address. According to our segfault handler, it's NULL.

For gp to be NULL, both bitmap and goff need to be NULL. And bitmap being
NULL is somewhat impossible due to:

if ((run = bin->runcur) != NULL && run->nfree > 0)
ptr = arena_run_reg_alloc(run, &arena_bin_info[binind]);

bitmap is an offset to run, so both the offset and the run need to be NULL
(or perfectly matched to cancel eachother out, but also unlikely.)

bin->runcur and bin->bitmap_offset both being NULL seems _very_ unlikely.

And that's about as far as we've gotten.


      Doc & Devon
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the jemalloc-discuss mailing list